Future Balloons has participated in the V Congress Literacy, Media and Citizenship that took place at the University of Aveiro on the 3rd and 4th of May 2019, under the theme of Technology, Disinformation and Ethics. The purpose of the communication entitled “Promotion of the skills of adolescents in the verification of facts” was to present the Fake Off Project, which aims to develop the digital literacy in young people and awaken in them the awareness of the disinformation that currently exists in social networks and in this way learn to identify and avoid false news.
April’s FAKE OFF monthly update is here. The work done during this month was mostly related to improving the codebase both in refactoring existing code and preparing some functionality for the future.
The objects holding quiz data were a mess and are now much better organized. They now also hold the entire information related the quiz including translations and correct answers.
This system allows us to easily add new questions or fix current ones.
Some code and progress is also being done regarding the Detective part of the app. Detecting gestures and doing the correct action with them is starting to take shape so we can start creating the first entries to this mode and discuss how it should work in detail.
Not much has changed since last month regarding the UI. There were a few bug fixes and some improvements in dealing with different sized resolutions and aspect-ratios to offer a better experience. Most of the UI work is now done apart from the Detective mode which will be a focus later on.
April was a month where a lot of the work is happening behind the scenes and where most of the bugs can occur. Hopefully by focusing on this aspect of the development everything from here on will be quicker and less prone to problems. Next month we wil be back to finalizing the quiz by choosing and adding all the levels and quiz questions from the project partners contribution.
See you next month!
Check out the Fake Off YouTube channel at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY3H_ajhf98 (Clara Rodrigues)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDzQoP5Ynto (David Kargl)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhsik78xjSY (Thomas Doppelreiter)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_K9sh2ax7M (Barbara Buchegger)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmeHArbEMBk (Javier Milan)
The second meeting of the Fake Off project was held in Berlin – Germany on the 25th, 26th and 27th of February and hosted by Yeep Europe, an institution that works in the field of youth and community support in disadvantaged areas. Future Balloons, supported by project partners is developing the interactive mobile application that allows young people to identify fake news and includes a set of interactive games and learning tools. At the meeting, issues related to the development of the application were discussed. It also has contents aimed at teachers and professionals working in youth organizations and institutions.
The first entry in the FAKE OFF monthly update is here. This month consisted mostly in the redesign of the app following the ideas gathered in the Berlin meeting.
- The Main Menu has received a complete visual overhaul to make it more visually appealing to the target audiance:
Old Main Menu:
New Main Menu:
Animations for the background and buttons are also included which should help in making the experience more fun and not as bland.
- Buttons with links for the Facebook project page and the project website are now also present
- Every button is now bigger and more uniform. This should hopefully make the mobile usability in small or low resolution screens better and smoother
- The settings pop-up has also received some changes both in usability and visuals:
Old settings pop-up:
New settings pop-up:
- This new pop-up makes interactions easier by using bigger buttons and getting rid of toggle buttons in favor of checkboxes and by replacing the clunky language dropdown with a side slider. All of these changes also integrate much more tightly with the rest of the app’s design.
- The quiz selection pop-up has undergone major changes. The biggest one is the fact that the quiz selection is no longer a pop-up but a different screen altogether
- The interface has also changed significantly:
New quiz selection:
Instead of an infinite scrolling list, levels are now grouped in grids of ten. You can then swipe left or right to go to the levels you want.
- The new victory screen is now much more appealing and transmits a greater sense of achievement:
Old correct pop-up:
New correct pop-up:
The quiz screen has received substantial changes regarding its layout and design. The new screen does not allow long questions anymore but it is much more readable and usable.
Old quiz screen:
New quiz screen:
- Some of the questions that will be present in the final version off the app are starting to be included
- The timer for the quiz is now gone and the evaluation will instead focus on getting the greater number of correct answers possible
- The first steps for implementing multiple-choice questions are done so hopefully by the next month it will be fully working
- Major code refactoring meaning a lot of the code has been re-written.
And this is what has been happening regarding the development of the FAKE OFF app. There is still a lot of work to do but things are starting to take shape. During the next month we hope to finish polishing the new UI and to start delving into the Quiz part. A lot of the work for single-choice questions is already in place but a lot of work related to multiple-choice questions still needs to be done.
See you next month!
From October 1st to 5th, the first training mobility for youth workers took place in Valencia, with the participation of 22 young people from Austria, Germany, Portugal, Italy and Spain.
Our kick-off meeting took place in the beautiful city of Graz in Austria on the 12th and 13th of April. The tasks will be starting with surveys among young people and youth workers, followed by the work on the didactical concept and the games for our FAKE OFF App.